There is going to be a lot of hardware in Philadelphia. The defending world champions will have to make room on their trophy case because Cliff Lee and his Cy Young Award are coming to town.
This is definitely the biggest deal so far this season. But is it the best? Read on to see what I think…
It was a great move by the Phillies. Here are six reasons why:
1. The Phillies were able to acquire another ace to team up with World Series MVP Cole Hamels without giving up young pitchers Kyle Drabek and J.A. Happ or outfield prospects Dominic Brown and Michael Taylor.
2. Lee may be 7-9 but he’s pitched better than his record. His 3.14 ERA is great and he is averaging more than six strikeouts per nine innings.
3. Another team seeking Lee’s help was the Los Angeles Dodgers. They have baseball’s best record and want to avenge their NLCS loss to the Phillies last season. In beating L.A. to the punch, Philly sent a message that they are still the team to beat.
4. Lee has given up just 10 home runs this season, good news as he heads to Citizens Bank Park, one of the most-hitter friendly parks in the league.
5. The switch to a better team in the NL should vastly improve Lee’s numbers. He is 12-2 vs. the National League over his career.
6. Sure, the Indians lost their ace, but they gained some good young talent. Jason Knapp has a 98-mph fastball, Carlos Carrasco is another young flamethrower, Jason Donald is a quality infielder (though he is still recovering from left knee surgery), and Lou Marson is a potential everyday catcher. Not a bad haul for a rebuilding team.
What do you think about the Cliff Lee trade? Good move? Big mistake? CLICK HERE to let me know!
And for more great Blogs, CLICK HERE!