SPORTS ILLUSTRATED KIDS
2012 SPORTSKIDS CONTEST
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. HOW TO ENTER: The Sports Illustrated Kids 2012 SportsKid of the Year Contest (the “contest”) begins at 12:00 P.M. ET on June 26, 2012 and ends 12:00 P.M. ET on October 9, 2012. To enter, go to www.sikids.com/SKOTY and follow instructions to submit your nomination. All nominations must be received by 12:00 P.M. ET on August 27, 2012 in order to be eligible. Limit one nomination per person or e-mail account. Sponsor is not responsible for entries not received for any reason. Entries become sole property of Sponsor and none will be acknowledged or returned. By entering, entrant, all nominees and parents/legal guardians of nominees (Contestants) warrant that any materials submitted (1) are original and do not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, (2) have not been published in any medium.
2. JUDGING: All entries will be judged equally by SI Kids editorial staff based on the following criteria: athletic performance (33.33%), academic record (33.33%) and community service (33.33%). Nominations for the SportsKid of the Year will be accepted from 12:00 P.M. ET on June 26, 2012 to 12:00 P.M. ET on August 27, 2012. The SI Kids editorial staff reserves the right to find qualified nominees. On September 28, 2012, the SI Kids editorial staff will select up to five SportsKid of the Year finalists from the nominations and publish the results on SIKids.com/SKOTY. Finalists’ entries, along with a digital photo and/or video, will be posted on SIKids.com/SKOTY. Visitors to SIKIDS.com will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite finalists from 12:00 P.M. ET September 28, 2012 to 12:00 P.M. ET on October 9, 2012. The nominee who is the top vote getter, pending approval of the SI Kids editorial staff, will be named the SportsKid of the Year (Grand Prize Winner), subject to verification and compliance with these Official Rules.
3. NOTIFICATION OF WINNER: Potential Grand Prize Winner will be notified on or about October 15, 2012 and winner’s parent or legal guardian, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where legally permissible a Publicity Release within 7 days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) submission does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) submission does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the submission is original and has not been previously published and submission has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate Grand Prize Winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate Grand Prize Winner.
4. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 7 -15 of age years at time of entry. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor, its promotional partners and their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same of household of each such employee), and previous contestants to make it into the Top 10 are not eligible.
5. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: The 2012 SportsKid of the Year Grand Prize Winner will be featured on the cover of an issue of Sports Illustrated Kids magazine and receive a SportsKid of the Year jacket. He or she will also receive a trip for the winner and his or her family (up to four people total) to New York City for the 2012 SI Sportsman of the Year ceremony; four roundtrip coach airline tickets from the airport nearest the primary residence of the Grand Prize Winner; one night hotel lodging (double occupancy) and ground transportation to/from the airport in NYC and to/from the ceremony. Winner must be able to take the trip to New York before December 31, 2012. The SportsKid of the Year will also win a trip with his or her family (up to four people total) to Los Angeles to appear on the Cartoon Network's television event "Hall of Game," scheduled to air on CN in 2013. The trip to Los Angeles must be taken before December 31, 2013.. If winner cannot travel on dates stated by Sponsor, winner will forfeit the prize, and a runner up winner will be selected. Paid expenses include: four roundtrip coach airline tickets from the airport nearest the primary residence of the Grand Prize Winner, a minimum of one night hotel lodging (double occupancy), ground transportation for a minimum of one day, a food stipend of $500 per day. Approximate Overall Retail Value: $10,000. All arrangements regarding travel and lodging for the Grand Prize Winner and his/her legal guardian will be made at the sole discretion of SI Kids. All other expenses not specified herein are the responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER. The prize is awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind. Actual value of trip prize depends upon the city of departure, time of travel, any airfare fluctuations and on current market conditions at time of prize fulfillment, and any difference between the stated ARV and the actual value if any, will not be awarded. If any part of the event is unable to take place as planned, for any reason, including but not limited to, cancellation, scheduling conflicts or an event of force majeure, the remaining components of the prize will be awarded and Sponsor’s obligation to the winner will be fulfilled, and no other additional compensation will be provided. Tickets awarded as part of a prize are subject to the terms and conditions stated on such tickets. Winner, guests or parent or legal guardian of minor guests must sign a travel release prior to traveling. Trip is subject to air/hotel availability and confirmation of reservations; certain travel restrictions and blackout dates may apply. Airline and flight times to be selected by Sponsor at its sole discretion. One or more stopovers may be required on air transportation. Winner and guests must travel together at the same time on the same itinerary.Air transportation, if applicable, and hotel accommodations must be taken together and cannot be taken separately.All travel arrangements must be made through Sponsor’s agent on a carrier of Sponsor’s choice. Once trip dates have been booked, no change, extension or substitution of trip dates is permitted, except at Sponsor's sole discretion. Winner and guests must possess valid ID and are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary and required travel documents (passport, etc.) in order to travel. Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, advertising and promotion agencies ("Contest Entities") shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the air carriers, hotels or other transportation companies or any other persons providing any of these services and accommodations to passengers including any results thereof such as changes in services or accommodations necessitated by same. Contest Entities shall not be liable for any loss or damage to baggage. Prize components cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or offer, and no portion may be separated except at Sponsor's sole discretion. Prize conditions may be added or modified by companies providing those portions of the prize. The prize restrictions/conditions stated herein are not all-inclusive and may be subject to additional restrictions/conditions, which may be stated in the affidavit and release and/or prize travel documents.
6. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Contestants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Contestant represents that any designs and other materials submitted as part of Contestant’s Contest entry are original and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Contestant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such designs and other materials. In addition, by entering, Contestant grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Contestant’s submission, along with Contestant’s name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Contestant, in any and all media, including the internet, for possible editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use Grand Prize Winner’s name and/or likeness, biographical information, and design for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Contestants and Grand Prize Winner agree to hold Sponsor and its promotional partners, its directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, including death, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion or privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Contestant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any Contestant or Grand Prize Winner, if either commits or has committed any act, or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, Contestant or Grand Prize Winner to ridicule, scandal or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after the Grand Prize Winner has received notice of his prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
7. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant whose nomination is the subject of automated voting. Sponsor reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a Contestant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Contestant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned.
8. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the state of New York without regard to any principles of conflict of laws that would result in the application of the law of any other jurisdiction. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of New York, without recourse to class action suits.
9. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of the Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
10. WINNER’S LIST: For the name of the SportsKid of the Year Grand Prize Winner, available from December 10, 2012 to January 31, 2013, send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Sports Illustrated Kids 2012 SPORTKIDS Contest, 1271 Avenue of the Americas, 31st floor, NY, NY 10020, OR log onto www.sikids.com/SKOTY.
11. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is SI Kids, 1271 Avenue of the Americas, 31st floor, New York, NY 10020.